Wind is an increasingly attractive offshore segment for energy corporations, technology manufacturers and investors.
Updated 23 April 2021
Global capacity in offshore wind is increasing globally
This is driven by the following:
- Increasing cost competitiveness with other forms of clean power generation
- Practical benefits of offshore wind, i.e. negligible land usage and constant power generation
- Oil companies’ desire to diversify
The offshore wind sector is fundamentally changing, moving further from the shore and into deeper waters. This will have implications for supply chain spending and, therefore, investors:
- Foundations will become bigger and more expensive
- There will be higher amounts of transmission equipment installed
- Digital technology uptake will be accelerated
Read our full analysis on offshore wind technology opportunities.