Evolving information needs and user behaviour is setting the stage for B2B media transformation
- Business decision-making is becoming more complex, due to fast shifting customer demands, increased competition and the rapid evolution of technology disrupting user workflows. As a result, there is a rising need for information along the buyer journey and users are increasingly seeking specific and independent content.
- Simultaneously, marketers need to engage with increasingly hard-to-reach audiences. They are seeking highly tailored content across a variety of channels and touchpoints to do so. This is driving c.10%* growth per annum in B2B Media spend.
- Online publications, e-newsletters and tradeshows (the mainstays of B2B media) play an increasingly important role in meeting these needs because they address targeted audience niches with authoritative content. Webinars are effective across a range of use cases, particularly in delivering more technical and product-specific information. Online video is increasingly valuable among the C-Suite.
- This dynamic environment is shaping value creation and investment opportunities for private equity and strategics. There are a number of high-growth players – and further opportunities to transform legacy players that may be under-managed or under-invested. The essence of the opportunity is to shift revenue from traditional media and marketing methods to more sophisticated, multi-channel approaches by developing offerings that match the evolving needs of users.
* Plural Marketing Spend Outlook, 2021-2024
The B2B user survey is based on a sample of 460 decision-makers across 15 industry sectors and was conducted in August 2022.